Do you need your Winter Fuel Payment?

Could you help local people who face Christmas in poverty? Here’s one idea how.  Everyone born before 27 September 1955 automatically gets a Winter Fuel Payment.  We know that for some people this payment is a lifeline, but there are others who get it who may not need it.  If this is you, why not donate it to our Citizens Advice Bucks Winter Poverty Christmas appeal? Our help prevents hardship and homelessness.  The great news is that the National Emergencies Trust is matching every individual donation up to £250 – so the money that you give goes even further – but only until Christmas, so please act now.   

Our Chief Executive, Thalia Jervis, explains why “For every person we help, we turn two away because of a lack of funds. We have seen a surge of people seeking help over the past few months because of COVID.  These are local Bucks residents who really need our help.   But we need more funds so we can be there for them. These funds are going straight to our frontline money advice staff and volunteers, so that they can help people in need over winter.”   

WFP fb

Our Chair, Jane Mordue, explains the importance of the appeal, “Your donation could transform someone’s Christmas. People are desperate when they come to us – we help them get them back on their feet.  We help them get out of debt and then sort their finances for the future, to make sure they are getting the most out of their income or benefits.“ 

As a charity we depend on donations and grants from local charity funders, as well as a local council grant for our work to continue. We are keen to dispel the myth that Citizens Advice is a public service. “Many think we are part of the council, but we are a charity like any other, dependent on the kind support of the public to keep going”. Anna Day, Head of Development and Communications, shared. “It has never been more important then now to get local supporters involved with our work. Every donation, big or small would be a huge help!”. You can find the campaign at Or visit our donate page

If you were born on or before 27 September 1955  you could get between £100 and £300 to help pay your heating bills. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.  You will get your Winter Fuel Payment automatically (you do not need to claim) if you’re eligible and either: get the State Pension or get another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit). Winter Fuel Payment – GOV.UK (